2015-07-16

It was an up slope bonanza.

I made a bike plan to park at one of my favorite regional parks, bike on paved trail and off the park to ride main roads of City of Petaluma and come back to the park by riding on long up slope.

While Mr. WhP was driving on the roads in Petaluma, I was carefully checking if it's possible to ride for me.  I was getting tense more and more, especially toward the entrance of the regional park the long slope of Chileno Valley Road looked very hard.

Unloaded two bicycles and put the front wheels on, he was smiling to be ready.  Meanwhile my face was grimaced behind the camera.
Helen Putnam Regional Park is very familiar to us, because we hiked here a lot before.  But I couldn't remember what the paved trail was like, because I only hiked on it once a long time ago, I didn't like to walk on paved road usually.  So I was a planner, but I didn't realize the paved trail was quite steep up and down.

But the first part I did my best to come up, then another one coming....  on the way my chest started to hurt, so I stopped to catch my breath to calm down my heart beat too.

How long more to climb the trail?!!  How many times of the distance from here to the top of this slope?

Because I've already done that much. I was whining away to him.


So he went up all by himself to check the distance to the peak, I was resting and finally my breathing got normal.  So I started riding up by myself, this time my body got stronger.  Luckily the peak was not too far.
We saw many lower grade schoolgirls and people with their dogs.

After the peak, bumpy and steep down slope was not bad, but I used my break more than he, screeching quite a bit.

When we got on the residential road, it was down slope again.  Then a long up slope started.  But it was nice looking wide paved road, so I didn't mind at all.
When I got up here, I took a picture.
After we rode up more on this nice bike lane, then down slope was leading us to D street.
I was worried to turn left on major D street, but luckily police car was parking on the bike lane at the intersection.  So I just moved to the left to the center, and got into D Street.

I can't remember what the road looked like, but it was comfortable, I turned right on Sunnyslope Ave., then right on Sunnyslope Rd., the bike lane was nice this way up, but other way down was very narrow.  I was pleased to take this course.  When we reached to I Street, turned left to follow the loop back.
But on I Street, we suddenly lost where we were, so I was checking my printed map.
"Did we pass the Sunnyslope Ave. or not?" "I don't know. My smart phone map took long time to turn on" he replied.  Then very kind man on the street offered to help us.  What a great day, thank God!

We happily got back to Sunnyslope Ave. and we were going to take El Rose Dr to B Street, but!!  The El Rose Dr looked like a slide in the amusement park, I have no way to climb up the street, I thought.  So I turned right on D Street and enjoyed a busy main road ride until reaching 6th Street to turn left.

When we came to Western Ave., I suddenly remembered good old Petaluma Market which has a lot of delicious foods, so we dropped by.  In fact, I needed to get energy boosting food!

I picked a turkey, Jack cheese, pesto sandwich for him, and this delicious sandwich for me-Ham&Swiss with Honey Mustard.  He got potato salad, I got macaroni salad, they were good too.  I was so hungry to take the picture before finishing.

And I found my favorite big white peaches, so I got them for us.  That was an excellent idea.  We were boosted up happily by the lunch.

Western Av. was wide but many many cars were parked, so I was riding carefully to pass the cars.  Because it was Noon, busy cars were on the street too.

Going towards Helen P. Regional Park on Western changed to up slope, but I got used to it by then.  I was fine to ride up, then turned left on the final challenging road, Chileno Valley Road.
I had to stop to off the road when big sounding truck was coming behind me, because I was out of breath.  So I took my breath deeply and waited for a while.  OK, let's go, I said.  After I started and changed the left gear, I've heard the noise.  Chain fell off.  We stopped again.  Thank you, Mr. WhP.  He immediately fixed it for me.
When we lifted our heads, we saw a beautiful pond beyond the tree at the side of the road.



The last ride on the up slope became my good memory now.  Luckily Mr. WhP took my riding photo.
Thank you, Honey!

When we came back to the parking lot, I was almost going to cry, but I forced myself to stop.
This is the happy day!  "I want to have ice cream at home!"

Today's route:
Distance:  7.4miles, Max Speed 20.2 mph, Average Speed 6.7 miles, Time 1h 04 min.

No comments: