2015-07-22

Chain drop and squeeky sound

While I was writing last post, Mr. WhP was working in our garage to check my bicycle to fix if it's possible.  When he came back, I asked him to write what he has done.  Here it is.
---------------------------------------------------------------


In preparation for the coming up-grade, Mrs Whp attempted to shift to the smallest front chain ring.  Again the chain dropped off onto the frame.  Mr Whp used a hex wrench to hook the chain and put it back on.  This seemed to be happening too many times, so after returning he checked the derailleur adjustment.  The limit setting seemed about right, so adjusted the cable to move everything to the right.  That still allows the shift to the smallest chain ring (maybe without so much dropping) and improved the shift to a bigger ring.  Her bike has a twist-grip type shifter which is a bit on the stiff side (maybe the cable needs lubrication...), and requires a fairly snappy movement to shift from a smaller to a larger chain ring.

Mrs Whp heard a little scraping-squeaking sound coming from the rear wheel and asked to have it investigated.  Thinking it was a slightly dragging brake pad, Mr Whp carefully adjusted the brake, but the sound persisted even with the brake cable released.  Worried that the sound was coming from the wheel bearing, he removed the wheel and opened the dust seal--luckily the noise was just the dust seal rubbing.  A bit of wax took care of that.

So now we should be ready for a 20 miler!  Right? 
-------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds very impressive, Honey!  But I can't understand the most of it.  I'm so lucky that my husband can fix my bicycle trouble!
But a 20 miles?!  Oh, my God, he is ready.  OK, I'm working on it, but I'm not sure.  I can't promise, ok? -Mrs. WhP
  

No comments: