2015-07-03

Books and movies for another kind of enjoyment

It's hot again.  So we canceled the bike challenge today even though I planned it last night.  In addition this is the Forth of July weekend, it might be full of cars on the street.

So I made a list of movies and books about bicyclists.

First I requested our local library to get the book, "Miles from Nowhere" by Barbara Savage.  And Mr. WhP bought the kindle version of "A wheel within a wheel:  How I learned to ride a bicycle" by Frances Willard.  99 cents!

And we watched a 2012 movie "Rising from Ashes", quite an impressive documentary film.  We both liked it. 

Well, unexpectedly soon, our recently purchased bike gear was delivered!

A bicycle trainer.  Just a stand, so I have to use my metronome to hear the count.
He put it in the garage, first.  But I asked him to bring it in the room.  That's more fun.
We both tried already about 5 min. each, and got tired so soooon.  My reality is too far from my dream again.  
But I will do better.  Maybe a little by little.

4 comments:

CyclePatH said...

I will be interested to hear about the Frances Willard book. Our library doesn't have it, but I've read bits about her before. I suddenly remembered another bicycle book that I really liked a lot -- Two Wheels North: Cycling the West Coast in 1909, by Evelyn McDaniel Gibb. It even starts out in a town near you, Santa Rosa. It's a very enjoyable story.

I'm going to check out the Rising from Ashes movie. Sounds interesting.

Good luck with the bicycle trainer. We try to use ours in the winter, but it's not one of my more favorite things to do.

Mrs WhP said...

Thanks for mentioning the book "Two Wheels North", I will put it in my list for the future.
Oh, you have the bicycle trainer. Do you have a favorite interval to start with?

CyclePatH said...

I try to ride at least 20 minutes. On good days I might do 30 to 40 minutes. I get too bored to do more than that.

Mrs WhP said...

Hi CyclePatH,
Thanks for sharing your experience! At least 20 minutes, ... I guess so. Healthy walking needs that amount of time too, when I think of it. OK, next time when I use it, I will try! I should make any good effect from that since we bought it.