2015-08-18

Main road trip to Cotai with 2 punctures

We wanted to try riding on main roads in another city.  So I planned to park at Penngrove park & ride, and we were ready to bike.  But Old-Redwood-Hwy, which is in front of the parking lot, was quite busy with high speed cars and trucks, I got freaked out.  But once I got onto the bike lane I was fine, then we turned right onto Main St. which has no bike lane but is a bicycle friendly road.  The road was also busy and an up-slope so it was quite challenging for me.  Finally we got up to Petaluma-Hill-rd with bike lane.  That road speed limit is 45mph, but car and trucks were passing at a much faster speed, then I saw another slope was standing ahead.  I took some breaths and started again.






Just in case, I decided to change left-hand gear 1 just before the slope.
As you see, the drivers are courteous enough not to pass too close to my elbow, I was lucky.

When I turned left onto E Cotati Ave, I carefully moved into left turn lane with cars.  Beginning of E Cotati bike lane was not finished yet, but there is a nice side walk all the way to where the bike lane starts.  So it was quite comfortable, except for small gravel bits and tree seeds.
But suddenly a broken and poking out surface on the bike lane came up to me and I was really surprised.
They should paint it to warn us, I thought.
Then I noticed that I heard a strange noise from my bicycle, and found the front tire was flat.

Mr. WhP examined my tire for a while and finally found the tiny hole.




  

OK, we started enjoying the ride on E Cotati, and dropped by Oliver market to get sandwich. 


We crossed Old Redwood Hwy by walking and got onto Old Redwood Hwy.  Suddenly Mr. WhP said something.  Now his rear tire was punctured!

Other than that the ride on Old Redwood Hwy was quite fun and comfortable.  With bike lane the speed limit should be 35- 45 mph should be the best I thought.  Like this road. 

When we returned to the parking, we continued riding to cool off in the small parking lot.

Distance, average speed, max speed and time.
 









No comments: