2015-06-18

Bought Speedometers.

Yesterday my odometer in smartphone stopped during my biking because my battery died, which is my fault.  So I took his record because I'm sure that I biked a little more than he did yesterday.

Today our speedometers were delivered, so he put them on.  And we biked with them.

My speedometer showed: 
Total distance: 10.405 miles












Average Speed 9.4miles/hr

Smartphone's odometer shows: 9.93 miles/ 8.8 miles per hour

His Speedometer shows distance:  10.528 miles 

His average Speed:  10.1 miles/hr















His smartphone's odometer shows:  9.85 miles/ 8.9 miles per hour

I like the speedometer hooked on the bicycle.  This is so cool.  You can see your speed all the time, and total distance is showing too, so I can ride until enough miles added.  Today I wanted to bike more than 10 miles and I did.  It felt very fun and I was satisfied.

Tomorrow we're going to try my first time road biking a little bit, I've already gotten nervous even though I was the one who has checked and checked and planned the route.  Well, just try every mountain a little by little...

P. S.  Mr WhP thinks more about this Speedometer on his comment below.  

3 comments:

MrWp said...

These little gadgets are pretty neat--inexpensive and work very well. The setting for wheel diameter is 2135mm for a 26" wheel and it doesn't seem to have any fine adjustment. Our wheels are 26" nominally, but I haven't measured to see if the circumference is 2135mm. The distance reading is close to the Smart Phone's GPS, but slightly more--can't guess which is more accurate. I supposed I'd better measure the wheel circumference so the reading can be corrected if necessary. The wireless transmitter mounted on the fork had to be turned towards the wheel at an oblique angle to place put it close enough to the magnet on the spoke to get a reading. I wonder why they didn't make the magnet adjustable instead?

CyclePatH said...

It's great that you got bicycle computers. It will help you chart your progress and challenge yourself to go a little farther or a little faster. On the other hand, sometimes it's good not to get too caught up in all the stats. My computer just broke, so I'm on a forced reprieve from worrying about the numbers.

Mr WhP said...

Okay, I finally figured out how to set the speedometer correctly. There is in fact a fine adjustment. I chose the wrong tire size before, we actually have 26" X 1.95" tires. I measured the radius which is 12.75" that gives a circumference of about 2035mm. The instructions say to use 2055mm, less than 1% difference, so I guess I should use their number because my measurement may not be that accurate. I had used 2135 before, a difference of nearly 4%, so that was a little too far off. Now maybe the speedometer will agree more closely with the GPS. I can see that one could easily get carried away with this measuring, whose accuracy isn't especially important anyway for casual riders.