2015-06-26

The more riding, the more scaring.

Maybe that's a good thing.  The first city road biking was fun, because I didn't know what's going on really.  I was only looking at front mostly.  Not knowing is very scary!  And somehow on that day I was lucky;  everything went well smoothly.

The second city road biking, that was exciting too for long ride.  But since then I've been worrying about on city roads.  When I checked, the most common car-bike collisions, I found the reason why I'm worrying. 




Right Hook:  A car passes a cyclist on the left and turns right into the bike's path.
When I was going to across the W Napa St. from 5th St., two cars continuously speeded up and sharply cut in front of me riding and turned right on W Napa St., I was shocked but I didn't realized how I was in danger at that times, so I didn't get panic at all.  Thank God.

Since then I started to hate riding in the city.  I'm old, I don't need to face to danger.
In spite of long hours planning, I lost my desire to do another adventure.  In stead of that we should do trail riding, but the nice long trails are in another city.  It will take more time to drive, because we have something to do later.

So we just quickly decided today's riding plan, and hit the road.

For our the last city road ride connecting to 3 bike paths
We parked at the Depot Park free parking lot, and rode the west side of Sonoma bike path first and u-turned to ride toward 2nd St.E and turned right on 2nd St. E to get to Nathanson Preserve Bike Trail  again and we u-turned at the end because we were going back all the way to Andrieux St. to turn left, but we went passed it, because that side of the same street is called France St, so we u-turned again to get there, from Andrieux left turned on 3rd St W and finally we got onto Fryer Creek Bike Trail which is my favorite.  We u-turned at the end too.
I took a picture in the middle of the trail when we were coming back.  Near the big tree there was yellow berry shrub, I have no idea what that is.
You can see why I love this trail from this picture.
On the way back, we took Broadway the first time, which has a bike lane, he heard so we tried it.
In spite of nice long bike lane, there were many cars parked on the lane so I couldn't bear to ride on the street.  In Sonoma cyclists are allowed to ride on the sidewalk we read, so I did.
When we got back to the parking, the speedometer showed Distance only a little over 8 miles, so biking around there including Vallejo Home, Veterans memorial Building, and Police office to ride up to 10 miles.  Yes, we did.
     Distance:


  Average Speed: 
Max Speed: 

Time:  

I feel it's a time to re-think about our goal.  For safe, fun and healthy riding for us senior people who don't have physical strength specially. 

2 comments:

CyclePatH said...

I agree that riding on the road can be scary. Try to ride predictably and always watch out for the other guy. If only there were some way to get rid of all the cars.... I think it would help if all the drivers had to magically trade places and learn what it feels like to be the bicyclist riding next to their cars.

Mrs WhP said...

I seemed to have been in too much hurry to try riding on the road outside of our community when I thought back. But on the other side when the desire got full, I can do it without hesitation. So anyway I was lucky. Yes, dear CyclePatH, I heard those words at the bicycle class too, and I've been trying as much as I can even on our community roads. Many drivers didn't get nervous so much as before when they were passing by me.
Definitely I'm more careful naturally when I'm driving and see cyclists. And I'm always impressed by them nowadays.