2015-06-06

This is Mr. WhP's area to think about.

About maintenance things.  I wonder if he is cleaning OK, but I have nooo idea.
Well, he was learning on Internet. OK," Honey, what are we going to get?" Here, Mr. WhP is coming.

I read that Slick Lube Bicycle Chain Lubricant is a good one.  They have three different viscosity levels, the choice depends on conditions from dry to wet and muddy.  The products are FDA certified as non-toxic and food safe and they reportedly have no smell.  A couple of long distance riders report that it lubricates well and lasts long.  I think I'll give it a try.  By the way they sell from their own site and offer free shipping (on Amazon, shipping is half the price of the lube!)

2 comments:

MTB-RAD said...

I think your choice of lube is a good one. I would only say that you should clean your chain good and then apply your lube, also you don't want to mix two different types of lubes.
I use a product that was developed by Boeing corp. and is used on aircraft exterior hinges and such. It has great adhesion and doesn't attract dirt as well it doesn't wash off in the wet conditions. The down side is it's probably very toxic, but a little goes a long, long way. It's called Boeshield x-9.
There are a lot of good products available now, this wasn't the case when I started MT. biking. I should look at the newer lubes out there now, there is a likely better choice now with greener ingredients.
I clean my oily bits with a citrus based green degreaser.
With the amount of miles you are putting on your bike now you should check your chain for wear or as is commonly called chain stretch. You can get an inexpensive tool that's easy to use, to check the wear before you damage the cogs or chain rings. If you let it wear too long you may need to replace the other parts not just the chain.
Happy cycling!

Mr WhP said...

Hello MTB-RAD! Thanks for the advice! I've always been too casual about maintaining the chain. Some lubes claim to clean and lube in one step, but I suppose I should get serious and buy a chain cleaner too. After submerging the chain in detergent, it would need very thorough lubrication. I think somebody commented that the lube is not very viscous when you put it on, so it seeps into the rollers on the chain well--the solvent then evaporates leaving the chain relatively dry. Well, I'll do my best. Thanks for the tip about the measuring tool--I'll check REI, they probably have such a thing. Maybe I should get a belt drive bike!